I didn't really know what to expect for the day ahead as I arose 7:30a.m. Sunday morning. The whole week prior was hectic and up in the air so I wasn't sure of what we were doing until Wednesday and all of the final details wouldn't come together until about 9:30 the day of the hike. The weather forecast said rain and snow at +1000 ft. Basically I didn't know if we were going to have much success with our trip, but luckily we got the rides figured out and made the trip to Tiger Mountain with little in the way of problems. I was excited that we were able to get my brother Ronnie and niece Alice to tag along, though I didn't realize how tough the hike would be.
The review I read of the trail said it was well maintained with a sharp incline for roughly a mile, followed by a more gentle sloping incline to the top of the first summit. This was not the case as the entire trail was steeply up hill. Alice made her dismay at this very clear to the rest of us, though it was more for dramatic effect than anything. The weather was dry for the most part and the scenery was beautiful.
The review I read of the trail said it was well maintained with a sharp incline for roughly a mile, followed by a more gentle sloping incline to the top of the first summit. This was not the case as the entire trail was steeply up hill. Alice made her dismay at this very clear to the rest of us, though it was more for dramatic effect than anything. The weather was dry for the most part and the scenery was beautiful.
Before we hit the trail, I noticed that Zach has brought his Vibrams so I changed out of my big, warm, waterproof, steel toe boots and slipped my little foot gloves on. Within the first hour they were soaked through, of course, and as the elevation increased the temperature decreased. It wasn't too long before we reached the snow line, becoming increasingly aware that the choice to bring the Vibrams may have been an unfortunate one. Our feet eventually went numb, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, we soldiered through and pressed on to the top. We would have made the climb a bit quicker, but there were frequent stops in which we let the slower bunch catch up with the turbo bunch. Ronnie and Alice haven't been out hiking for quite a while so we had to take it easier for them because this was not much of a beginners hike.
| The whole upper half of the trail was like this. Cold feet for sure. |
Though the conditions were less than optimal, and Alice was convinced she wouldn't make it to the top, we eventually did. The view was mostly clouds, though you could see the surrounding peaks and snow dusted trees all around. It was really beautiful and stunning in it's own way. We settled in to eat and that's when we noticed the birds.
| Alice kept getting spooked when the birds would come to land on her hand. |
I don't know what kind of bird this is, but they are fat little grey things that will fly down and eat right out of your hand. They have almost no fear and will try just about anything you give them. They were absolutely digging the cucumber I had, though carrots were a no-go. I imagine next time I come up I'm going to bring a whole bag of sunflower seeds just for the little guys because they were an amazing surprise and really made the trip worth it.
We finished eating and Alex hugged Zach's frozen feet for a bit. Just before we were getting ready to head back down, a nice group of old folks asked us to take a picture of them, which I agreed to do so long as they would get one of us, which they graciously accepted.
We finished eating and Alex hugged Zach's frozen feet for a bit. Just before we were getting ready to head back down, a nice group of old folks asked us to take a picture of them, which I agreed to do so long as they would get one of us, which they graciously accepted.
No comments:
Post a Comment