This review is almost a week late, but this week's been a little crazy what with the family coming up from Utah and whatnot, so I guess I have an out.
I met up with Homie and his girlfriend heather in Federal Way and we headed out to gasworks park. It was cold and windy where we decided to train, but the view of Seattle was beautiful. We met up with Zach, Alex, and Jesse and got a start on some Gung Fu. Since we had two folks that needed to be caught up on things, we took the mitt drills and broke them down into component parts before stringing it all together. We worked some bob and weave and Taan-Pak-Goang then took a break because the wind coming off the lake was pretty damn cold. We went and played around in the factory place, climbing poles and doing pull ups. I unfortunately didn't do any sort of warm up and made the mistake of trying to climb a pole, this being just two days after weighted chin ups and dead lifts so my muscles were in no condition to be doing that stuff. I ended up kind of straining my left shoulder/back/bicep which made me have to take it kind of easy the rest of the day.
We found a great platform under the covered area that we used to continue our training. We went through all three parts of the immovable elbow and flow drill #1 before finishing up and going back out and around the park. At this point, Jesse and Heather had to take off, so we parted ways with the plan of meeting up back in Federal Way.
Homie and I dropped Heather off and went out for coffee with my brother, who snuck up behind me and half tackled me while I had a cup of espresso in my hand. I braced just in time to not drop the whole thing, but some still exploded all over the place and we got to clean it all up off the chairs and tables. We hung out for a bit after that and then went to get some food at Hana Teriyaki which was absolutely amazing. If you ever go there, order the bento special. It's like 9 bucks and you get a shit ton of really good food.
We were waiting for Zach and Alex when we decided to go to Brigadoon Elementary and kick the shield a bit. After a while we decided soccer would be fun, so we left the school to grab a ball from Ronnies house, but on the way out we got stopped by a cop that told us he got called for someone fighting on school grounds. We explained we were doing some martial arts training and he told us it would be best to do it somewhere else. I am appalled at the fact that someone can see two people kicking a big blue air cushion and think that a fight is going on. It was frustrating, but we were finished anyway. We couldn't find a ball or get a hold of Zach so we decided we would go gas up and hit up Dash Point State Park. At the gas station Zach called and said he was close, so we went back to Brigadoon and met with him before going out to Dash Point.
There we just kind of messed around with the rope dart and a tennis ball that we found. I came across this really good spear stick and found out that I'm not too bad at throwing spears. We hiked up the trail and found the most gnarly widow maker I've ever seen. It was a tree sized log suspended from the top of another tree being held in place only by a thinner branch that was wedged tightly into the fork of the tree. We surveyed the area below the tree and decided to try and knock the tree loose by throwing sticks at it. After about 10 minutes, nothing had happened, so we hiked further up the trail and decided to go grab our gear to do some more gung fu training. On our way down, the park ranger drove by with his megaphone saying the park was closing, so when we got to the car we left the park and went to another smaller community park right next to Sara's parents house. There we finished with some double bong, double fook, closing, floppy chi sao, and a kind of cursory introduction to the basic premise of lunge close.
We finished with the gung fu and decided to have a sword fight before playing on the playground equipment. By the time we were done, it was already dark. We took our leave and I dropped Homie back at his place before heading home.
I had a great time, the only bummer was that Sara couldn't make it out due to her work schedule. I also didn't get any pictures at all... so we'll have to go back sometime soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment