Today it was decided that she would make some Banana Nut Bites that we found a long time ago on this great website called sonofgrok.com. It was ran by a guy who followed the primal blueprint, chronicling his fitness and nutrition adventures and occasionally posting some drop dead amazing recipes that he would create on his own. He had everything from primal barbecue sauce to thai coconut curry, caveman cookies to bacon explosion (a bacon weave wrapped around a log of meat covered in primal bbq sauce, holy shit!).
Today we were extremely saddened to find that his website had been discontinued. All of those resources and awesome articles gone with the wind. So I set out to see if someone... anyone, had posted the recipe on their own website and luckily I found the cupcake architect. This person had the recipe I was searching for much to my pleasure.
Banana Nut Bites with Apple Slices.
| This is pre-cooked. We forgot to photograph the finished product.. |
This is a super easy treat to make. All you need is some bananas, eggs, nuts, and coconut.
For every one banana, you need:
1 1/2 cup of nuts (I used walnuts and pecans)
1/2 cup of shredded unsweetened coconut (I used bobs red mill)
1 egg
You also need a food processor or else this is a lot more difficult.
1: Pre-heat the oven to 350.
2: Combine all ingredients (minus the egg) in a food processor and mix thoroughly.
3: Mix the egg into the stuff.
4: Butter a 9x9 pan or something. Doesn't really matter what you bake it in, you just want to spread the \mixture so it's about 1/2" thick.
5: Thin slice an apple and lay the slices on top (optional)
6: Bake until crisp-ish (20-30 mins)
Variation: You can play around with it by adding different dried fruits, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, or flavor extract like vanilla. Also, I don't know if it was because of the type of apple or what, but the apple slices became rather leathery. It tasted fine, but I don't think I would add it next time. In the photo above we made 3 batches and we still had enough room on our baking sheet to add another batch. Altogether we had about 36 1x2" bars @ 135 kcal, 3g pro, 12g fat, 5g carb per bar. So they're pretty nutrient dense, don't go overboard on them.
Macronutrient Breakdown Per Batch (not including apple):
Calories: 1,620 kcal
Protein: 37.7g
Fat: 149.3g
Carbohydrate: 62.7g
No comments:
Post a Comment